Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

What makes Mayor Nutter Proud?

Mayors Nutter of Philadelphia and Bloomberg of New York City seem to be engaged in dueling silliness unless you take a moment to ask...what's in it for them?  These two distinguished guardians of our City dwellers seem more like parents than public servants.  Mayor Nutter, recently elected President of the United States Council of Mayors, emphatically asserted at the First Annual Soda Summit, that he is "proudest of successfully implementing a smoking ban in Philadelphia." I can understand this.  If 182 murders and 442 rapes had occurred in my city by June 24, 2012, I too would be proud of my smoking ban...is my sarcasism too subtle?

Then there is Mayor Bloomberg.  Yes, I am embarrassed that we are both Johns Hopkins University graduates.  And yes, if they had to choose who to claim I would be left out in the cold.  I have to date donated no buildings to the university.  Mayor Bloomberg proudly attacked sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces. He proudly implemented the legalization of marijuana.  Let's also remember that this staunch environmentalist had room air conditioners installed on his official vehicles.  Plugging in the window air conditioners is supposed to produce less pollution than idling his Chevy Suburbans...or he could just start the air conditioners when he gets into the car like us mere mortals.  Or may I suggest the Prius that automatically cools itself if the temperature exceeds a certain level.  Did I forget to mention that there have been 179 murders and 670 rapes in New York City year to date June 24, 2012?


"I am sorry madame, but please give me that 32 oz soda.  I must write you a citation.  Yes, I hear the screams.  Yes, those are gunshots.  Yes, someone has been knifed next door. Yes, there are legally using stoners on your doorstep, but I need to focus on that large, non-diet soda." Would you like to be the police officer with this job?


Oh, did I mention that the in Mayor Nutter's case, sugary drinks would be taxed at 10 cents an oz...I smell a tax with some heavy cha-ching.  


So health aside, education aside, parenting classes aside, personal responsibility aside...lets make some income here. Makes me want a Big Gulp to help fund Philadelphia's deficit.


No comments:

Post a Comment