Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Do Big Tents Work?


I just had a birthday. Thank you. As part of this birthday, friends from all walks of life and times of my life contacted me to say HBD. One friend, who is really family and someone that I can truly say I love indicated that he felt that abortion was one of the topics where our President wants a big tent.

I am trying to figure out what a big tent means. Not just for abortion, but for any life and death, health or hurt issue.

It is vital to have big tents for talking. We need safe places to speak with one another. To talk and really listen to one another, or no new ideas or changes can ever occur. However, at some point we must agree to disagree. At that point how do we stay under the same tent? Supporting the same people?

Do we vote against our core beliefs in order to stay under the tent? Do we give our resources and support to those who work against what we feel is right?

At what point must we stand up and say, "This is what I believe. There is no way that I can acquiesce to your wishes?"

Can we stand together, under the same tent if the result is that I condone, support the death of the innocent with my presence and gentleness?

When is it time to step out of the tent, brave the weather, fight the fight? How surprised will we be when we see all those willing to leave the tent with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment